Monday, April 13, 2009

Good Stuff...

Well, this has been a really nice weekend. I'm starting to settle into being busy. I'm enjoying being awake. Naps still sound amazing, but I think I need to cut back. And its been a good day of just being awake. Now its choosing to be aware, and after awareness, doing something to accomplish good.
I got a B+ on a paper from Montag. I got 2 B- last semester. So its a very welcome jump. This paper I turned in today is really a good one. Even if he doesn't like it very much, it has been blowing my mind about Ecclesiastes (Kohelet) and Genesis, and how similar they are to each other in some regards. I don't know how to resolve some of the problems that logic and my interpretations have brought up, but I feel like I actually have some decent questions.
I re-hurt my wrist yesterday. Hopefully the pain and swelling will go down. I don't care if it takes a long time...I'd just like to know whether its broken or just hurting a bit.
I couldn't agree with Lauren about facebook more. Its nice to have it back, but its great to recognize how not important it is. The picures are nice, and random comments from distant friends. But...its not essential to my life.
So I'm reading this awesome book by C.S. Lewis called "The Problem of Pain." I couldn't have summarized it better than Lauren did unless I just quoted Lewis. So...I'm going to let her summary stand and just say a few comments...then go read the next chapter!
The quote to summarize the entire book was amazing, and blew my mind. It's from George MacDonald. He says "The Son of God suffered unto death, not that men might not suffer, but that their sufferings might be like His." thats a crazy way to think about things. There are a few things I think Lewis draws way out of proportion. But one point of arguement that I love is that either Jesus was crazy (He called himself the Son of God!!!) or he was who he said he was (He called himself the Son of God!!!). The whole idea of the "problem of pain" is not/should not be an issue unless you have concluded things about the world that involve his four other points (that Lauren nicely summarizes). Maybe you could argue that you only need one or two of those, and I might concede those, but you still need to have an understanding of a morality, and identify someplace that authority comes from. So, basically, if you don't have those two things in place, then pain shouldn't be a problem. And yet it is, which can make some sense as to why man understands those four essential points. This is so like science. If blind evolution is true...then there is no need for a moral center...especially if you are still able to survive and reproduce.
Lewis opened his book with a denunciation of nature as being an argument for God. I've always seen it and known there was something more powerful, that things could not be left to chance. However, Lewis points out that his main point of contradiction was that most of the universe was empty space, and was unimaginably cold, and that things didn't work out quite so well. Why not? It was just interesting to have one of the most common arguments dealt with in such a manner.
Totally looking forward to more reading. He can really convey complex ideas to the common person (me) very well. I'm a fan!

No comments: